Tour days: Daily
Duration: 3 hours
Time: Morning view details and book
The Triana Bridge across the Guadalquivir is an iconic image of Seville. This bridge is the city’s oldest and most beautiful. Its official name is the Bridge of Isabel II, since it was this queen who inaugurated it in 1852. However, its common name is due to the fact that it spans the waters of the Guadalquivir River and joins the city centre with the famous district of Triana.
Until this bridge was built, the city of Seville never had such a construction. In the 12th century, the Muslims had created a stable walkway of boats in order to cross the width of the river.
This system of uniting both riverbanks was maintained for centuries, and although throughout history various projects were carried out, none came to fruition due to the width of the channel and the effort required to build a fixed bridge.
However, this work was encouraged in the mid-19th century. The project was commissioned to the French engineers Gustave Steinacher and Fernando Bernadet, who were inspired by the Carrousel bridge (which doesn’t exist today) in Paris over the Seine. They began the work in 1845 and seven years later, the bridge was complete. It was the first in Spain to be made of iron.
The entire structure of Triana Bridge rests on stone pillars and cast-iron arches, prepared for this task in the city of Seville itself. The result is a bridge that is functional but also very pleasing to look at, especially at night when it is illuminated.
In addition, the Triana Bridge has a very symbolic value for the people of Seville due to the places it unites and its aesthetic. On the west side stands the Capilla del Carmen, commonly known as “el Mechero” (the Lighter). It is the work of Aníbal González, without a doubt one of the great architects of the current appearance of the Andalusian capital, since he was the director of many construction projects during the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929.